Saturday, October 23, 2010

what grinds my gears...week 2

...what happened to good television?

I am a child of the 90s and I personally believe that the 90s had the best television. I was a huge fan of all the kids shows like Power Rangers, any Nickelodeon cartoon, or even a sitcom like "Home Improvement" or "Boy Meets World." These shows, especially the two sitcoms, relied of having actual humor, good stories, and some type of moral value. I love the fact that TV on DVD came out a few years ago and that allowed me to own the entire series of Home Improvement on DVD. I am still waiting for seasons 4-7 of Boy Meets World...although I heard that season 4 will be coming out sometime near the end of this year or early next year.

But...after the 90s...everything changed

Now I am not going to personally attack any specific shows. I'm not going to be completely harsh. All I am saying is that some of these shows now use really awful dialogue and an overuse of a laugh track that happens during lines that aren't funny. It's almost like the audience only finds loud and obnoxious yelling and screaming funny. It just bugs me.

Thankfully, I have found a new love for a show that really lives up to and grabs my attention like a 90s sitcom. "Modern Family" on ABC is one of the FUNNIEST shows to come out on TV in a long time. And what is good is that it really isn't in any danger of being canceled anytime soon. I love the filming style of the show...Mockumentary. This type of filming is also used in a show like "The Office" where it has a documentary style feel with somewhat hand held camera work and interviews with each family member. And there is no laugh track so you have to pay attention to the funny lines...but they are definitely in there. To me, it seems to get better and better each week

No comments:

Post a Comment