Wednesday, October 13, 2010

anticipointment

Anticipointment (portmanteau)-The feeling of greatest anticipation for a certain event or happening in one's life, only to be countered by the greatest potential for disappointment. This is a word that was created by a favorite podcast of mine, CoasterRadio.com, and they talked a lot about how things such as roller coasters (a favorite hobby of mine) are built up so much in peoples minds about how great it is going to be. But the higher than anticipation, the greater chance it has to disappoint because it is not what you expected it to be. Throughout my life, I have been subject to this feeling and in one way or another, I decide to drop my anticipation and it allows me to be completely surprised by what unfolds. So here are a few things that apply to anticipointment for me.


1. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows-I have enjoyed every Harry Potter movie with the specific mindset that no book (HP or not) will ever be made into the perfect movie. They are almost separate entities in themselves. So I will go in completely oblivious to what happens, seeing that I haven't read the book in over a year so it might make it better.

2. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy-speaking of perfect books, this book was highly recommended to me by English teachers and others around me. I got it as a birthday present and still have not gotten the chance to start it. But the story intrigues me...ruthless cowboys, a crazy runaway, and Indian scalps...


3. NHL-for the first time in many years, I will finally go back to see an NHL game. Even better, I will be seeing my favorite team (New Jersey Devils) along with my favorite player (Martin Brodeur). They aren't doing so great right now, but its only been one week into the season. It's a long season so I am cheering them on to win in 2 weeks...along with wearing my jersey as the opposing team.

4. College Tests-I haven't had to take much yet, but studying will help immensely. And maybe working out my wrist muscles to prevent writers cramp.


5. Artwork-I don't want to create such a highly-profound image that I could possibly never create. Whether it is painting, drawing, or graphic design...just plug in and let your mind do the rest. The right side of your mind, not the left.

What anticipointment do you have in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment