Wednesday, October 20, 2010

how to study art...

This week has brought my two midterms...both for Art History...both with the same teacher. My first test was about World Art (particularly architecture) which involved an endless amount of writing. Tomorrow's test is Modern Art, involving analyzing several pieces of famous art and who each fits into a particular movement.

Sounds boring right?

Not totally actually. While it is kind of a pain to remember who did which and what a correct interpretation of a piece is (not going to go into that) it's interesting to find out why some of these famous pieces were created in the first place. Because I have to remember the names of the paintings, painters, dates, and movements, I created a memory game with Post-It Notes. One of my roommates mixed up all the names of famous artists and I had to put them in the correct place. Then last night, I also added the paintings that they did, the ones that are going to be on the test tomorrow. And it has been very effective so far. I am not one for just sitting in front of a computer and staring at my notes. I have to make it more exciting. I have found that trying to recite everything while doing any other activity: cleaning your room, doing dishes, taking a shower, walking to class, anything really works.

My test is at noon tomorrow so I have the rest of the day to study and get everything crammed into my mind.

Then I can be at peace...

Especially when I know that one week from today, I am finally fulfilling my dream of seeing an NHL game with my favorite team: The NEW JERSEY DEVILS!!!! More on that next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment