Saturday, October 16, 2010

what grinds my gears...week 1

Sidenote...if anyone is familiar with Family Guy, there is an episode where Peter (THE Family Guy) hosts his own news segment called "What Grinds My Gears" in which he rants and complains...this is what I'm going to do, to a certain limit :)

...why do the good bands have to break up?

Being a musician, I believe I have good taste in music, and can recognize it easily. While I do listen to a lot of mainstream music from time to time, my real love comes from the lesser known, independent bands. I don't need bands that get 30 million video hits on YouTube or sell out there records before they are ever even sold in stores. To me, mainstream is about the money, and not the passion of the music. And when bands lose their passion for the music, the music itself begins to fall apart into very cookie-cutter songs and ideas.

Now, I am all for independent bands getting more attention through mainstream that shows that you don't have to be backed by a big label or millions of dollars to produce great music. Two record labels that I frequent are Solid State Records and Tooth & Nail Records. Technically, both of these labels are apart of the same group together. Each label has its own distinct sound: Solid State is metal and hardcore, Tooth & Nail is rock and pop. Several bands have gone onto become world renown and still remain on the same label. I love that.

However, I hate when many of these good bands break up as well. For some reason, it always seems that way. As they say...all good things must come to an end. To name a few bands that were amazing, but are no longer in existence, we have such bands as As Cities Burn, Copeland, and Chasing Victory.

Please take a listen to what REAL MUSICIANSHIP is

As Cities Burn-"Empire" (Was Not Able To Get The Music Video)


Copeland-"Chin Up (Acoustic)"


Chasing Victory-"Wolves"



Update (Oct. 17, 2010)
Confide-"I Never Saw This Coming" :( this saddens me. Probably a band with the best blend of heavy and melodic


This weekly post is not connected with my normal daily postings. Just an extra thing that I can post on the weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment