Monday, June 6, 2011

D-Day

67 years ago today, 150,000 Allied troops landed on the shores of Normandy, France and begun the liberation of Europe from Nazi control. This is still regarded as one of the biggest, if not the biggest, operations in the history of the world.



I am thinking I should take some time today to watch Saving Private Ryan, my favorite movie that isn't Toy Story. It is the closest portrayal to what that day was actually like. I can't imagine what our world would be like today, had this operation not happened.



We will always remember what those brave men...some of them being my age...did to stop the world of tyranny and oppression.

1 comment:

  1. my history prof said it was a good movie and decent interpretation but even with the level of noise generated, it did not come even close to the levels they were exposed to there. (also, look up Point du Hoc for another interesting WWII story...well worth the time)
    Emily G.

    ReplyDelete